Friday, September 10, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

A couple of months ago we went out to Landmark Restaurant in Mesa. I am usually not a fan but this last time I got the Beef Stroganoff. I couldn't believe it, it was the BEST I had ever had by like a million!
I know that sounds grossly exaggerated but I really want to get the point across of how good it actually was. I loved that it was roast meat in it than stew meat chunks, it also had some flavor that for the life of me I could not put my finger on.

Anyways onto my meal, I have been trying to track down that recipe with no luck. So I decided to just start trying some and see what I can put together. My first attempt was from Mels Kitchen Cafe. I did everything the same except for the stew meat- I used leftover steak and man did it work.

This recipe was right UP there. The steak fell apart and was melt in my mouth, and the flavors all worked perfect together. I may still try finding that Landmark recipe, but if I am unable I will be satisfied with this winner!

The Ultimate Beef Stroganoff
from Tami W.

Put in crock pot:
2-3 pounds stew meat-* leftover steak or roast
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 onion, sliced

Mix in a bowl and pour over meat:
¼ tsp. garlic salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ cups beef broth or stock (made up from cubes or granules)
1 tablespoon ketchup

Cook in crockpot on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. When cooked make a simple roux by whisking 1/3 cup flour with enough apple juice (about 5-6 tablespoons) to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Whisk the roux into the crockpot and add 4 ounces sliced mushrooms.

Cook on high for 15-30 minutes. Then stir in ½ cup sour cream. Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes (pasta is my favorite option!).

*Freezable Meal: The leftovers of the stroganoff can be frozen. I store the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and then thaw in the refrigerator (usually takes about a day) and reheat over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove.


I also froze some and loved it later


2 comments:

  1. I love beef stroganoff but don't have a good recipe for it, until now! Plus, I absolutely LOVE the Landmark restaurant in Mesa (I'm from there!) so if it tastes like anything from that restaurant, then I'm sure this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...