Monday, February 22, 2010

THE SEARCH IS OVER!!!!

8 yrs. ago I fell in love with the Chocolate Chip Cookie from Joe's Real BBQ (more on them another time). It is both mine and my husbands favorite cookie, it costs $1 and is sooo worth it. It is thick & chewy and always warm. I have always been on the hunt for a recipe to duplicate this cookie and have never found one, until NOW! I was on a great cooking blog which always has Great recipes and I was looking for something yummy to make for our traditional Sunday baking time. When I came across a recipe that was entitled Thick and Chewy Cookies. HELLO! so of course I read up and she talked about how this is probably her favorite cookie.

The recipe is quite a bit different from most choc. chip cookie recipes, first you melt the butter ( weird, right) then it calls for one egg and one egg yolk, it also has a minimal amount of flour.
I was a little worried that they wouldn't turn out, but they did and they were perfect, exactly like my fav. Joe's cookie. Now instead of driving down and paying a dollar for one I can just make my own. So please try this recipe and see for yourself how delicious they are.
I made some Extra big, just like they serve them up at Joe's.




Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Cook's Illustrated
Makes about 30 cookies

2 1/8 c bleached all-purpose flour (about 10.5 oz)
1/2 t table salt
1/2 t baking soda
12 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (I don't use unsalted butter because I never buy it - salted butter works just fine in this recipe when I use it!)
1 c brown sugar (7 oz)
1/2 c sugar (3.5 oz)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 t vanilla
1-2 c chocolate chips (I use a full 12 oz. package of semisweet chips)

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

Form dough into balls (I use my handy-dandy cookie scoop - the original recipe has intricate dough-forming instructions so go here if you want to do it that way) and place on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.)

Bake, reversing cookie sheets’ positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes - these cookies really do need longer baking time than most average cookie dough recipes). Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time. Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.


1 comment:

  1. I was so excited when Holly told me you started a food blog! I love how you are always trying new things, even if they seem hard. I will be checking in often to try out your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...