Thursday, February 11, 2010

Red Hook Ceviche with fried Plantains

So while watching Food Network I encountered this recipe. It looked so good and the Husband has been into Ceviche ever since the guy he works with would bring it in to share. There are lots of ways to make Ceviche and this one was said to be practically Famous in the "Red Hook" district of Brooklyn, NY. So I thought perfect I will try this one. I also saw an episode of "DDD" (this is Diner's Drive In's & Dives- which I will probably reference a lot!) where they served ceviche with fried plantains. So here my journey began.




Red Hook Ceviche


Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 pound sea scallops, muscle removed and finely chopped in 1/4-inch dice
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemonshowlist_icon.gif juice
  • 1 tablespoon sugarshowlist_icon.gif
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons saltshowlist_icon.gif
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

Directions

Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until they just turn pink, about 1 1/2 minutes, then transfer to an ice bath. When cool enough to handle, chop roughly and put in a large plastic bag with scallops. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, lemon juice, sugar and salt together until the salt is dissolved. Stir in jalapenos, cilantro, and red onion to combine, then add the mixture to the bag with the scallops and shrimp. Put the bag in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours before serving.



DeVeining the Shrimp. EWW
Boiling till they turn pink about 1 to 2 min.
Then throwing it into an ice bath
Removing the muscle from the scallops
Then dicing them super small
Chop the cilantro, jalapeno (seeded for me) and red onion
Here is a trick I learned from Rachel Ray, to pop the lemons/limes in the microwave for 10 sec. to get the "juices flowing" and boy did it work.
Everything Combined
Diced plantains before they hit the oil. Make sure you get them super thin so they fry up nice and crispy like a chip. My first batch below was kind of thick and didn't turn out as well.

Here it ended and the verdict is......
I don't really like Red Hook Ceviche. :(
It had way too much acid in it for me, too much sour not enough sweet. I think I am going to drain of the juice and add some tomatoes, avocados and put it in some tacos. The fried plantains are a fun alternative to chips ( but waste a whole lot of oil, which I am saving to make some donuts)

Last night I got a text from my poor mother. She has been working a weeks worth of mandatory O.T. 12 hr. shifts. She was wondering if I could make some "Sweet Chex Mix" to take to work with her to make the day more bearable.
How can I say no to that.
So after a long day of kids, mutual and a failed attempt at a fantastic dinner I quickly made a batch of one of the best snacks EVER! I got this recipe off of Becoming Betty ( a super great food blog) and have been bringing it to occasions ever since. Everyone loves it and nobody can stop eating it. It is super fast and super easy to make, the only thing it is not, is super cheap ( so try buying the stuff when it goes on sale and storing it)
Once you take this somewhere people will be asking you to bring it back again and again.


8 cups Rice Chex
8 cups Golden Grahms
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup coconut
*Mix in big bowl. Then bring to a boil for 2 minutes in a saucepan:
1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo
3/4 cup butter
*Pour over cereal mixture and mix well.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your food & your computer! Love this! -SUZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute blog crystal!! I am not good at trying new things. I think i might start. I love how you didn't end up loving it but now you know that. I am going to start to do better, thanks@!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...