Here is a great recipe I got on Please Hold the Onions.
My family devoured it. I have made it many times since and it just gets better.
One of my favorite parts is you can make it up and then freeze it and just take out how ever many you need. I have adapted this recipe slightly to the likes of my family. So that recipe is one the bottom- you can always check out their great website for the original recipe.
Southwestern Egg Rolls
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 5 chicken tenderloins/1-2 boneless, skinless breasts ( boiled and shredded) ( I boil mine frozen)
- 2 Tbs minced green onion
- 2 Tbs minced red/yellow bell pepper
- 1/3 c frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 c black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
- Shred chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.
- Wrap tortillas with a clean, lightly moist cloth. Microwave on high approximately 1 minute or until hot and pliable.
- Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold ends of tortillas, then roll tightly around mixture. Secure with wet toothpicks. Arrange in medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry frozen, stuffed tortillas for 10 minutes each, or until dark golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving. (Instead of deep frying, you can bake them in the oven at 425 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.)