Monday, April 11, 2011

The Best and Easiest Homemade Bread

Now I am always a little gun shy when it comes to using yeast. I have gotten a bit better lately but still am wary of straight up bread. So when my SIL Heather invited my mom and I over to make some of her delicious bread I jumped at the chance. She said it was Super easy and she wasn't lying. Making it that day with her by our side was easy, but the real test was could I make it myself, so I took excellent notes and gave it a try. I know there are a lot of pics but I want to give you step by step instructions for those of you out there who are as wary of bread making as I am.
First she lines up her ingredients in order that she puts them in

starting off with some yeast dumped in some warm ( not hot warm) water ( no need to mix)
Set aside
Start adding rest of the ingredients to mixer
powdered milk
oil (add this first and use same measuring cup so oil just slides out)
honey
salt

then dump in yeast water
then add first 6 cups of flour
start mixing then scrape the sides
after that start adding more to total about 11-12 cups

you want it to pull away from the sides a little bit but still be sticky
( I am always so afraid of not adding to much that I always add to much- so you want it to be sticky and not all come away from the bowl)
then mix for 8 minutes- by then it will pull away from the sides completely
then take out your hooks and leave it in the bowl covered and let it rise till doubled in size

Once rises oil up a working area and your hands a bit then dump it out
then divide into fourths
take the ball
roll it out lengthwise

fold it in half
flip it over
then start rolling it up tight


then seal it up on the ends
and sides
fold the sides under
put in greased pan and pat it down

then let rise again covered till they are over the rim about 30 min.
they are almost done in this pic
finished rising
then put in oven for about 20 min. till they reach 180 degrees most importantly
check them individually
let them cool completely on something that will soak up the oil like a paper bag.

Then they are yours to do with what you want
Warm with butter or toasted with honey.
You can give some to a neighbor or freeze them .
So good luck and I hoped this helped


Heather's Best Whole Wheat Bread

5 C. warm water
2Tb. yeast
add yeast to bowl of water, do not mix, set aside
to mixer add
1/2 C Powdered milk (plus 1/4 more if instant)
1/2 C oil
1/2 C honey
2Tb. salt
dont mix
add yeast water
then 6 cups flour ( I didn't have fresh ground wheat so I used half white half wheat store bought)
Start mixing then scrape the sides and continue adding flour till it pull away from sides a bit but is still sticky about 11-12 cups. Then mix in low for another 8 min. By this time it will pull away completely from sides. take out hooks, cover and let rise until doubled in size.
Once rise use oil and roll into bread form, then place in greased ( I spray with pam) bread pans, cover and let rise again until they reach the rim about 30 min.
Cook at 350 for about 20 min. till they reach 180 degrees.
Cool completely before bagging or freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...