Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cheesy Waffles

Now wait don't leave. Hear me out.
While on one of my fav. cooking blogs My Kitchen Cafe I came across a discovery of the strange and unusual. Since I am also strange and unusual I decided to give it a whirl.
First off I L O V E waffles, I had even decided at one point that if I was stuck on a desert island and could only pick one food to eat forever it would be Waffles.
My grandma Nilus always made the bestest waffles she has the non belgian style waffle iron (which is waaayyyy better) and would put boysenberry syrup on it.
Now I do not have this kind of waffle maker but I do have the belgian Waring Pro (the kind that flips over and beeps when it is done) which is definitely second best.
I always grew up on Waffles with Sour Cream and Strawberries ( yes this is a Fantastic combination-please try) so I was used to different. When I saw that she put cheese on her waffles I decided I was trying it.
Now you make up your fav. waffle mix (mine is from the Fat Sister Cookbook)
then load it in the waffle iron and sprinkle with cheese.
Drum Roll please.........
I loved it ! It doesn't have that different of a taste except a little saltier, with all the buttermilk syrup drenched on it. But it does have a definite difference in texture, it is almost like a chewy crust on the top. I truly enjoyed it and will be making this many times in the future, I will probably even pop in some bacon in the middle!






For every good waffle there must be Buttermilk syrup to pour on top.
Ever since I was introduced to Magelby's in Provo, I fell in love with Buttermilk syrup. It is soo light and sweet and WARM. Ohh it just melts in your mouth. There is no substitute to this sweet combination of butter, buttermilk and sugar.
If you are not already making buttermilk syrup you MUST start NOW!
The recipe is simple
Melt butter, sugar and buttermilk in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 3 min.
I rarely have buttermilk on hand so I make my own with about a Tbsp. of vinegar for every cup of mik and stir it.







after boiling it take it off the heat and add vanilla and baking soda and then Watch out cuz it's going to Blow!
Look at that froth, mmmmm!
Don't worry it goes down.
Buttermilk Syrup

1cup buttermilk
1cup sugar
1cube butter

boil for 3 min. then take off heat and add 1tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp baking soda.

1 comment:

  1. SO I just made these waffles for breakfast! and i have to say..they are dang good! Just adds that extra something to a perfect waffle!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...