Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Microwave Cream Pie

Right about now you must be thinking "What kind of Cream Pie". But there is no "extra" flavor in this pie, just a straight up Cream Pie- Cummard Style!
I had never heard of such a thing until I met the Cummards, not that I really cared since I am not a pie person. But I discovered that the best way to get on a Cummard boy's good side was to make them a Cream Pie.
Though I definitely cheat with it, since I do not make their Mother's pie crust. I usually buy frozen pie crusts, or use shortbread crust ( which is the only way I like it, since pie crust is not my thing).


Warning this pie is Very Rich.

You start off with 2 cups of scaled milk. In a microwaveable container. I love my pampered chef 4 C measuring cup for this but it isn't quite big enough and I really have to watch that it doesn't overflow.

Then add the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
and microwave for 2 min.
Here is mine about to overflow.
Here it is Overflowed :( I really need to keep a better eye on it.
Keep cooking it in increments of 2 min. stirring it in between till it
gets thick about 6-8 min. ( I had to shut it down about every min. to stop it from overflowing)




I love my egg yolk separator thingy my mom gave me.



then you will need to Temper the mixture to the egg yolk. Which is slowly adding some of the hot mixture to the egg yolk a little at a time and stirring it in, so that the eggs don't cook.
Once they are about the same temp.
then add it straight to the milk mixture stirring it as you put it in.
cook 2 more min.
after that cool it in the fridge
Then make up some homemade whipping cream.
It just is not the same without it.

Then to appease your children let them lick the beaters.
( you just wouldn't be a good mom if you didn't!)
after it is cooled add the butter and vanilla and blend well then pour in pie shell and cool again till it sets up and then add whip cream on top.
My kiddos go GAGA for it and I am sure your family will too!

Cream Pie

2 cups milk scalded ( cook in microwave 3-4 min)
1/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook above in microwave for 2 min. - stir-cook 2 min.- stir- keep doing until thick ( about 6-8 min.) add small amount of hot mixture to 3 egg yolks slightly beaten. Stir egg yolk mixture into hot mixture- microwave 2 more min. - cool.

after cool add: 2 Tbsp. softened butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
mix well and pour into cooked pie shell- cool in fridge until set up and then top with whip cream.

1 comment:

  1. Just got caught up on all the new posts. I'm gonna be 500lbs because I want to make them all! You make everything look sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...