Monday, March 1, 2010

A Meal For 10 Under $10!

This past week while shopping I asked the butcher if he had any pork shoulder, he informed me that he did but if I wasn't planning on cooking tonight, that it would be on sale the next day for $.99/lb. ( the roast ended up being less than $4)
SCORE!
So I planned one of my favorite meals.
Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Corn on the Cob
I also had some fantastic Buns from Sprouts that my neighbors gave us, Score again.

First thing I did was place this Fine piece of meat on top of a bed of sliced onions. Then I seasoned it up with some salt and pepper, threw in about a cup of water and let 7 hours in a crock pot do the rest.
While that was cooking I boiled up some fine looking corn.
I also made a little extra since I had some last minute guests.
Here is what the pork looked like after I shredded it up and De-fatted it ( I think that is a word).

I decided not to cook it in bbq sauce, since my favorite place to get pulled pork sammy's is Joes BBQ and they serve theirs plain and then you add sauce. I also feel like you can really taste the flavor of the meat, instead of Just the sauce.
Then I got some Yummy sauce ( pick whichever you like best). I prefer Joe's sauce but didn't have time to go and get it, so I settled for my second favorite which is Sweet Baby Rays. Then I toasted up a lightly buttered bun(Joe's style) and served it up.

The end result was an A++. The flavor of the meat was perfect and it was oh so juicy, I also loved the onions in with it as well.
So if you are looking for a cheap meal to feed a lot, head on over to Safeway and pick up a pork roast. Hurry quick tomorrow is the last day, and I just picked up 3 more myself.

I also sliced up some strawberries and powdered sugar to go along with it. Yummy right?

3 comments:

  1. Bought my pork shoulder tonight. Can't wait to make this tomorrow! Thanks for the tip off on the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CRYSTAL -I am loving this!! You and I have very similar taste in food - keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ali, always excited to hear someone likes my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...