Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fun with GREEN!

I got this recipe a couple of years ago at a cookie exchange, I loved it instantly. This is one of the few candy making recipes I have tried that I got right the first time. But for some reason a lot of people have a hard time with it, so I am going to give it to you Step by Step.

These Oreo Bon Bons are definitely Rich, they are beautiful and they are addictive. I have even had one person describe them as Heaven. If you are trying to impress these are definitely the puppies to do it with.

First place cookies one package of Oreos in a food processor ( I used mint for St. Patty's Day, use regular not double stuffed.) Then get them as fine as you can, I do two batches since my processor isn't very large.


After that add a package of softened cream cheese and mix together
not ready yet
ready, make sure it comes together like cookie dough.
my husband had the camera and was going crazy on the pictures, he loves taking pics for the food blog!
after the mixture is mixed roll into small balls, warning this is very messy, then place on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

then stick a toothpick all the way down in each one, and put in the freezer for 1 hour
right before you take it out start melting the almond bark. I use half a package for a single batch. I slowly melt mine in a saucepan on low constantly stirring.
once melted I place in a short thin glass. my measuring cup works fine
then dip each one in, let the excess chocolate drip off, or a ring will form on the base of the bon bon. Also do not dip whole ball and don't get the toothpick
make sure you do this step fairly fast or the balls will start thawing and fall into the chocolate while dipping.
after dipping take out toothpicks
then melt some new chocolate, you can do white almond bark or add color to it, or use the colored candy melts. I do this part in the microwave stirring about every 10 seconds for 40 seconds. Using about 2 individual bars.
I dip it in and loop it around, it can get kind of messy so I am constantly wiping my hands so I don't get chocolate on the whole thing.

I usually add some sort of sprinkle before the top chocolate sets.
Then were done, it sounds like a lot more work than it is, but it will take quite a while with all the individual rolling and dipping. The recipe makes about 60-70 balls depending on the size.
For St. Patty's Day my MIL always does a green meal. This meal is probably my second favorite meal of the whole year.
I LOVE corn beef and cabbage and only usually have it on St. Patricks Day. She also make buttermilk muffins or cornbread 2 of my favs. This year there was also broccoli salad which I Love too. ( I know I love a lot of things, but there is not limit to how much food you can love and well the name of the blog is For the Love of Food so......)



Oreo Bon Bons

1 package Oreos ( Nutter Butters also work great)
1 package 8 oz. cream cheese
Chocolate Almond Bark ( Half a package)
White Almond Bark ( 2 bars)
tooth picks
wax paper/ silpat

Chop Oreos finely in chopper or food processor, mix well with cream cheese.
Form mixture into bite size balls and place on wax paper on a baking sheet. Place toothpicks in balls and freeze one hour.
Melt almond bark and dip balls in bark ( do not let choc. touch toothpicks) let set until bark is hardened.
Remove toothpicks
Melt white almond bark in microwave, drizzle over top or turn over and dip the top in white chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. YUM-O! I remember you brought these to one of our GNOs. They are truly a bit of heaven here on earth! I'm excited to try to make these! Your blog rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber, that was a great night. I loved all those treats! Lets do another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love those bon bons. Promise to make them for me this summer??
    And that cinnamon bread sounds and looks amazing. Never had it. I am dieting right now and I could seriously jump through the computer and eat everything on here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...