Monday, April 5, 2010

The Perfect Coconut Cupcake

I love Coconut, and am always looking for a Fabulous Coconut Cupcake. I have had Sprinkes- it's O.K. About a year ago I read on one of my good friends blogs how she had gone to a reception and they had the BEST Ever Coconut Cupcakes. After that I was dreaming of them, wanting so bad to find the perfect one. I tried making some- no luck. Buying some- no luck. Then a couple of months ago I was looking on Becoming Betty and saw a recipe for a perfect Coconut Cupcake that she had saw on Hold The Onions - and one their contributors was also at that reception. So I checked out her post and sure enough she was talking about those cupcakes and how she has also searched for it's equal. She had found it! So I decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed.

They are moist, flavorful, full of coconut and just plain brilliant. The key might be all the Butter and Almond Extract ( which is my fav)
I took these to an Enrichment activity and they loved them, I had a ton of compliments.
If you are also looking for that Perfect Coconut Cupcake look no further.



( this picture does not do it justice- I burnt about half of them)


This is pretty much what happens every time I get in the kitchen. 2 little mini chefs.

I think I filled them a little too full, and also left them in too long. But it didn't matter they were still Perfection.




Coconut Cupcakes


3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 C. sugar
5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
3 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 C. buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut


For the frosting:
* frosting makes a ton so I halved and still had plenty.

1 pound cream cheese at room temperature

3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.
Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter ( mine overflowed - so I wouldn't go quite to the top) . Bake for 25 to 35 minutes,( I would check at like 20 min.) until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.
Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...